The Office of Student Life enhances the student experience at NJIT by providing opportunities for student-centered learning, personal and professional growth, and resources that foster an engaged and inclusive campus community. Through advisement, advocacy, annual programs and services, we empower our students to develop the skills necessary to be leaders in the workforce.
Specifically, Student Life meets the needs of our diverse undergraduate and graduate population by overseeing seven functional areas:
- Student Organization Advisement: We provide advisement and support to more than 140+ recognized student organizations through one-on-one advising, annual training, leadership development, and policy management.
- Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life: Provides opportunities for personal and professional development, civic engagement, and academic enhancement, all while developing close lifelong bonds with your peers. Celebrating 100 years of Greek life in 2021, NJIT supports over 25 fraternities and sororities that represent social, professional and service-based Greek-letter organizations.
- Diversity and Inclusion: The mission of Diversity and Inclusion is to initiate and support activities that promote cultural competency among students of the NJIT Community. We are committed to raising self-awareness, mutual understanding, knowledge, and respect for others. Our approach is relational in that we believe in growth-fostering relationships, therefore we commit to providing a welcoming place for all. We pledge to offer a safe space and outlet for dialogue; we commit to provide mentorship and support; as well as engage students to become advocates for issues of injustice in our multicultural world.
- Annual Events: We enhance campus engagement and school pride through campus wide annual events and traditions such Welcome Week, Student Appreciation Week, De-Stress Weeks, Winter Celebration, Constitution Day, and the Highlander Awards.
- Commuter Resources: We aim to address the needs of commuter students and provide resources and programmatic opportunities for engagement in campus life. One way we do this is by working with the Off-Campus and Commuter Student Association (OCCA), the commuter student union at NJIT.
- Leadership Development: Student Leadership Development is integral to a student’s college experience. Under the oversight of the Office of Student Life, we offer a wide variety of leadership development opportunities, such as annual Student Leader Training, the NJIT L.E.A.D.S. Conference each winter, leadership workshops throughout the year, including within First Year Seminars, and a weekly Leadership Tip Tuesday series/social engagement on Instagram.
- Food Panty and Game Room: We manage and promote free services provided in the Campus Center that are available to the student body including the Game Room and Food Pantry. The NJIT Food Pantry is open to all NJIT community members who may have trouble affording or accessing a healthy diet.
In addition, Student Life oversees the campus wide management of Highlander Hub, NJIT’s online platform for student engagement, student organizational management, and campus-wide events. Highlander Hub provides critical data regarding student involvement, attendance at campus-wide events, satisfaction and learning outcomes, and budget management tools.