NJIT has an advance self-registration system that obligates all students currently enrolled in undergraduate degree programs to register in advance for their courses. Registration is required each semester for courses offered in the next academic session (fall, winter, spring, summer).  Students are advised according to the curriculum for their major, as outlined in the degree program listing in the undergraduate catalog. Students are required to meet with their academic advisor prior to registration; an advisor hold on registration will be removed with advisor authorization only.

All students register online via Highlander Pipeline. An approved registration guarantees class seats until the first class meeting. Students who do not attend the first class meeting may lose their place in class.

The Office of the Registrar is located in the Student Mall, on the ground floor of the parking facility. During the Fall and Spring semesters, the office is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm and Wednesday, 8:30 am to 6:00 pm.

Currently Enrolled Students

Currently enrolled students are informed of registration procedures via their NJIT email account for the fall and spring semesters by the Office of the Registrar during March and October respectively, and must then register during the advance registration period. Instructions for the summer session are provided with the fall registration materials. Priority registration is provided to Veteran and service member students. Please contact the Office of Military/Veteran Students to confirm eligibility.

New and Readmitted Students

The Office of University Admissions informs prospective and readmitted students of registration procedures.

Non-Matriculated Students

Non-matriculated students should contact the Office of University Admissions for details of admission and registration procedures at least one month before the date of intended enrollment. Extension and distance learning students should contact the Division of Continuing and Professional Education.

Auditing a Course

Students who wish to audit a course must state their intention to do so at the time of registration. Change in auditing status is not permitted once a semester has begun. Students who audit are required to pay full tuition and fees for the course. Audited courses are not counted in determining full-time status. Students on probation are not permitted to audit.

Undergraduate Registration in Graduate Courses

Undergraduate students who wish to take 500- or 600-level courses must obtain the written approval of the graduate advisor for the program that offers the course, their undergraduate advisor and submit an Approval for Undergraduates Taking Graduate Courses form. If undergraduates wish to take 600-level courses, they must also obtain written approval from the chairperson of the department offering the course. Undergraduates are not permitted to take 700-level courses.

The undergraduate and academic advisor will review the student's academic record prior to approval. Approval can be granted only to students who have completed the appropriate prerequisites for the course and are in satisfactory academic standing. The approval will be noted on an Approval for Undergraduates Taking Graduate Courses form that requires appropriate signatures and reports the student's cumulative undergraduate GPA. Students shall have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.5 to be approved for registration in 500-level courses (500G for Architecture) and 2.8 for registration in 600-level courses.

Students whose undergraduate GPA is below the 2.5 or 2.8 minima, are considering courses out of the student's current major, are lacking appropriate prerequisites, have completed any prior graduate courses with a grade below a B, or have already completed 9 or more credits at the 500 level and above (15 credits for those in the B.S./M.S. program), or have an excessive number of credits for the undergraduate degree will also require review by the associate provost of graduate studies and the program advisors.

Undergraduate students who enroll in graduate courses for undergraduate credit pay tuition at the undergraduate rate. Grades will follow the graduate grading system.

Undergraduate students should be aware that need-based financial aid may not be sustainable for registration in graduate courses.

Course Additions and Schedule Changes

Students who add a course to their program will be charged the full tuition and fee for the course added. All schedule changes are completed via Highlander Pipeline.

Courses cannot be added after the fifth day of the semester. Students cannot receive credit for courses if they are not registered. Attendance in a class without proper registration for that class is not permitted.

Withdrawal from Courses

Students who wish to withdraw from courses should first determine if the withdrawal would have an impact on full-time status, financial support, or academic standing and progress. They should consult their advisor in advance.

Students wishing to withdraw from courses may do so without academic penalty by the end of the tenth week of the semester only via Highlander Pipeline. Failure to do so will result in grades other than W.

Discontinued attendance or verbal approval to withdraw alone will not result in a W and most likely will instead result in an undesirable final grade.

Withdrawing from courses does not necessarily lead to a refund and students should consult with their academic and financial aid advisor on the issue before they actually withdraw.

Withdrawal from NJIT

Students wishing to withdraw entirely from the university may do so without penalty by the end of the ninth week of the semester via Highlander Pipeline. Failure to do so will result in grades other than W.

Withdrawing entirely from NJIT does not necessarily lead to a refund and students should consult with their academic and financial aid advisor on the issue before they actually withdraw.

Detailed information on Withdrawal policies can be found at the following link:

Continuity of Registration

A student must register each fall and spring semester continuously from the semester in which first registered until the semester in which graduated. Students who are voluntarily not taking classes or who have been granted a leave of absence will comply with this requirement by registering for "maintaining registration". Students who allow their registration to lapse will have to apply for readmission on the same basis as new students, can be readmitted only with the consent of their department, and the university is under no obligation to readmit them. Students who are in academic suspension are an exception to this rule, and are governed by the policy on reinstatement after academic suspension.

Maintenance of Registration

Students enrolled in a degree program who find it necessary to temporarily discontinue their studies are permitted to maintain registration for a fee each semester they do not register. International students on F-1 and J-1 visa status may not maintain registration unless they have obtained prior written permission from the Office of International Students and the Office of Graduate Studies.

Students who maintain registration are emailed registration notices for the following semester and are not required to reapply for admission. To maintain registration, students must register for "Maintaining Registration" via Highlander Pipeline.

Each semester, in which registration is maintained, is counted in the total time period allotted to complete degree requirements except for students with an approved leave of absence.

Responsibility for Registration

NJIT emails notices in advance to NJIT student email accounts. Students are expected to obtain all necessary information and comply with all registration procedures on time. New international students are only permitted to register after attending the required international student orientation program. Students who receive financial support must be in attendance at NJIT.

Course Cancellations

Courses listed in this catalog are offered at the discretion of each offering department. When there is inadequate registration for a course, it may be cancelled without notice. The registrar or academic department will attempt to notify all students of course cancellations before the first meeting of the semester.

Room Changes

Room and laboratory changes are noted in the online schedule maintained by the registrar via Highlander Pipeline.

Curriculum Change Procedure

If a curriculum is revised after a student has been admitted, the student has the option of pursuing the revised curriculum or the curriculum in place at the time of admission. The decision to follow the revised curriculum must be made no later than the end of the academic year in which the revised curriculum becomes operative.

Academic departments which are implementing curriculum changes should notify all students who will be affected by the changes to outline/explain these changes. Notification should be multi-faceted (i.e., letters, announcements on homepages, meetings with groups of students, announcements in class) to ensure wide dissemination of information. Bridge courses may be developed to facilitate a student’s switching to a revised curriculum.

Policy on Midterm and Final Exams

NJIT policy requires that all midterm and final exams must be proctored, regardless of delivery mode, in order to increase academic integrity. Note that this does not apply to essay or authentic based assessments.  Effective beginning Fall semester 2019, students registered for a fully online course section (e.g., online or Hyflex mode) must be given the option to take their exam in a completely online format, with appropriate proctoring.

Final Exam Conflict Policy

In the event that three final exams are scheduled on the same day or that two exams are scheduled for the same hour of the same day, the following rules shall be used to resolve such conflicts:

Rule 1. Final examinations of courses with multiple sections taking a common final examination shall be taken during their regularly scheduled period.

If the conflict is not completely resolved by Rule No.1, then Rule No.2 shall be used to resolve the remaining conflict.

Rule 2. The final examination for a course of higher numerical value shall be taken during the regularly scheduled period. (e.g. ME 470 Engineering Properties of Plastics will be taken before ME 455 Automatic Controls or HIST 351 Ancient Greece and the Persian Empire).

If the conflict is still not completely resolved by Rules No.1 and 2, Rule No.3 shall be used to resolve the remaining conflict.

Rule 3. The final examinations of courses with the same numerical value (e.g. CE 210 Construction Materials and Procedures and STS 210 General Psychology) shall be taken in alphabetical order of the prefix of the course number (e.g. CE 210 Construction Materials and Procedures during its regularly scheduled period and EE during some other period which is mutually convenient).

Once priority has been determined for the examination to be taken during its regularly scheduled period, the deferred examination may be taken during the conflict period at the end of all other examinations, with an evening section of the course, or by special arrangement between the instructor and the student; if that arrangement does not create another conflict for the student.

Credit For Courses Not Taken At NJIT

Registration at Another College

Students in good standing at NJIT wishing to take courses at a college or university1 other than those included in the cross-registration program must:

  1. Obtain an Approval for Courses at other Colleges Form from the Registrar's office.
  2. Obtain approval from the NJIT department giving the comparable course prior to enrolling in the course. Be prepared to show the department advisor a catalog description of the course(s) you intend to take. 
  3. Have the form countersigned by the registrar and your home department retain one copy. Registrar will retain original and send a copy to the NJIT department involved.
  4. Take the copy to host college and follow their registration procedure.
  5. Upon completion of the course(s), arrange to have an official transcript sent from the host college to the NJIT Registrar. Upon receipt, transfer credit will be posted to your NJIT transcript provided the grade earned is a "C" or higher.
  6. Courses completed at another college other than "cross-registered courses" will not be factored in the calculation of the NJIT semester but they may apply to the NJIT Undergraduate Course Repetition Policy
  7. Summer classes may be taken at Rutgers-Newark or Essex County College only if the course(s) is (are) not offered at NJIT during the summer.
  8. Calculus I and II (equivalents of MATH 111 Calculus I, MATH 112 Calculus II, MATH 113 Finite Mathematics and Calculus I ) may be taken in the summer at other colleges/universities where the duration of the summer course is eight (8) weeks or more.
  9. Physics I and II (equivalents of PHYS 111 Physics I and PHYS 121 Physics II) may be taken in the summer at other colleges/universities where the duration of the summer courses is six (6) weeks or more.
  10. Throughout a student's academic career at NJIT, a maximum of two (2) humanities or social science GER-equivalent courses may be taken at other colleges/universities during the summer. However, the capstone seminar in humanities and social science must be taken at NJIT.

Approval for Undergraduate Courses at Another School

Cross-Registration Procedure

Matriculated NJIT students may cross-register for courses at Rutgers-Newark College of Arts and Sciences, Essex County College and at the Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS). Eligible students who wish to do so should follow current procedures as described on the Registrar's website.

Summer Students

The above procedure applies only to fall and spring undergraduate courses. For summer courses, a form entitled Permission to Take Courses at Other Colleges must be processed through the registrar's office and the student must pay the applicable tuition and fees to the host school.

Cross-Registration Rutgers Students

Rutgers students cross-registering for courses at NJIT must be matriculated in a degree-granting program on the Newark campus.

Transfer Credit

Transfer credit may be awarded at the time of admission for courses that are equivalent to those offered by NJIT. A minimum grade of C must be earned in the course in order to receive transfer credit. All transfer credit must be documented by an official transcript issued by the school where the course was completed. Students who have attended foreign institutions of higher education must also submit an evaluation of their work made by World Educational Services Inc. or another approved service. Students are required to submit course descriptions for all course work taken outside of the United Stated to the Registrar's Office. Further information regarding evaluations may be obtained from the Registrar's Office.

Credit for AP Courses

Advanced placement credit can be given in certain cases; please refer to the appropriate section under Admissions.

Credit for Non-Traditional Learning

Students may be granted course credit for certain college-level knowledge acquired through non-traditional education such as independent study or job-related experiences. This credit may be granted for successfully passing selected DANTES or CLEP (College Level Examination Program) Subject Examinations, or, if credit is sought for advanced courses, by successfully passing a special departmental examination. Interested students should contact the Counseling Center for additional information about CLEP or DANTES examinations: (973) 596-3414. Students should contact the appropriate academic department for information about special departmental examinations. A fee is charged for these examinations.

Credits That Must Be Taken at NJIT

To be eligible for graduation, students transferring to NJIT must complete in residence at NJIT, at least 33 credits in upper division courses approved by the department of their major study.

Skills Testing

NJIT places prime importance on its students' ability to communicate. The ability to communicate effectively what has been learned in courses is essential, and so the university requires students to master the verbal skills necessary for writing and speaking clear, correct English. Appropriate developmental work may be assigned to students who do not demonstrate the mastery of these skills. To the extent appropriate to the course, instructors in all disciplines stress the importance of writing and speaking ability.

English as a Second Language (ESL)

Students whose first language is not English and/or whose English proficiency is limited will be required to take a special examination in English and enroll for the appropriate course in their first semester. Placement in the appropriate course (ENG 095 General Skills in English as a Second Language or the sequence HUM 099S-100S) is based on performance in the examination. Tutoring is a required part of these courses. Students will not be permitted to enroll in cultural history courses until they have achieved satisfactory grades in HUM 099S-100S (and ENG 095 General Skills in English as a Second Language, if required).

The ESL program offers a number of courses in the Humanities Department. These sections carry full academic credit and are designed to help students strengthen their English language proficiency while also mastering course content. Enrollment in the ESL section of a course is optional. ESL sections include HUM 211 The Pre-Modern World, HUM 212 The Modern World, HIST 213 The Twentieth-Century World, ENG 352 Technical Writing, LIT 320 American Literature, and LIT 350 Fiction.

Freshman Placement

Upon deposit and completion of the math placement test, all freshmen will be placed in courses according to their major curriculum and based on standards established by specific departments (i.e. Humanities/English, Mathematics, Chemistry and Computer Science).

Transfer Testing

Transfer students who do not receive transfer credit for required first year courses in Humanities/English, mathematics, chemistry and/or computer science are required to take placement tests. The results will be used to make course placement decisions.

Professional Skills Examinations

NJIT actively participates in programs that assure the quality of education in all undergraduate majors. In some cases, this participation requires students to prepare and sit for professional examinations. In other cases, NJIT students are required to sit for examinations, especially during the sophomore and senior years. Since these examinations carry no credit, they are not specifically listed in the major curricula listed elsewhere in this catalog. Nonetheless, these proficiency examinations are part of degree requirements, and students selected to participate in such examinations are required to take them.

All students enrolled in an Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc. (ABET) accredited engineering program at NJIT are required to take an assessment examination, the Basic Engineering Skills Test (BEST), in the junior or senior year. The examination is offered at the beginning of the fall and the spring semester. Taking the examination is a graduation requirement commencing with students entering Newark College of Engineering in Fall 2000.

Enrollment Status

Full-Time Students: Undergraduate students registered for 12 credits or more throughout an entire semester are considered full-time.

International students must maintain full-time status each semester.

Part-Time Students: Students registered for fewer than 12 credits during a semester.

Attendance Policy

  • All undergraduates are expected to attend all regularly scheduled classes. In the case of hybrid and fully online classes, participation in discussion forums and other required online activities is expected.
  • Attendance, by itself, shall not constitute a basis for grading except for certain clearly designated courses. These courses include, but are not limited to, all Physics and Mathematics 100 and 200 level courses in which a student missing more than three classes may be required to withdraw.
  • Students who expect to miss classes or exams because of religious observance must submit to their instructors, by the end of the second week of classes, a written list of dates that will be missed. Students are expected to make up missed work. Faculty are expected to make reasonable attempts to accommodate students who are appropriately following this policy.
  • Instructors are obligated to explain clearly, on all syllabi to be distributed at the beginning of each semester, what is expected of students in terms of activities such as class participation, reading assignments, and reports and how these activities factor into student grades.
  • Instructors are not obligated to make allowances for student absences unless those absences are due to illness or similarly unavoidable causes.
  • When, in the opinion of the instructor, a student is jeopardizing the successful completion of the academic requirements of a subject due to excessive absences, the instructor will initiate an absence warning (Academic Warning Notice), which is to be sent to the student by the instructor.
  • It is understood that this policy on attendance is intended to reinforce students’ personal responsibility to be present in class in order to:
    • Gain mastery of the subject matter, ideas, and techniques developed in the course.
    • Take examinations, tests and quizzes.
    • Participate in oral presentations, seminars, and field trips.
    • Participate in group activities such as laboratory experiments and study projects.
    • Remain fully informed as to class plans, announcements, and assignments.

(Effective Fall 2011)


The following grades will be used:

Grade Description
A Superior
B+ Excellent
B Very Good
C+ Good
C Acceptable
D Minimum
F Inadequate
AUD Audit
I Incomplete--given in rare instances to students who would normally have completed the course work but who could not do so because of special circumstances. It is expected that coursework will be completed during the next regular semester. If this grade is not removed before final grades are due at the end of the next regular semester, a grade of F will be issued.
W Withdrawal
S Satisfactory
U Unsatisfactory

Satisfactory and Unsatisfactory

The grades S or U report progress in co-op, teaching methods, ESL and physical education courses. The grade of S is given for satisfactory progress and U is given for unsatisfactory progress. Students who fail to meet with their advisors or do not satisfy relevant attendance requirements will receive a U grade. Credits for courses in which U is received cannot count toward a degree.

Grade Reports

Students can view term grades along with their entire academic record via Highlander Pipeline. The web term grade report is valid for employee tuition reimbursement if this benefit is available through the student's employer.

Grade Changes

Grade change requests will be accepted no later than the final grade due date the end of the subsequent semester.

Grade Disputes

Students are expected to resolve disputes about grades with their instructors. If they cannot reach a satisfactory settlement with their instructor, students are permitted to request the intervention of the chairperson of the department and the dean of the school or college.

Credit by Examination

Examinations to earn credit are available in certain courses. Students who believe they have the background covered in a given course should consult with their advisor and the department offering the course to see whether an examination is offered. To receive credit by examination, a student must perform at a level equivalent to a grade of "C" in the course. Students who have failed or attempted a course at NJIT may not take an examination for credit in that course. A fee will be charged for the examination.

Transcript of Grades

Students who wish to obtain a transcript issued on their behalf must submit a request via Highlander Pipeline. Please allow 10 days to process the request. Transcripts will not be issued to or on behalf of a student with an outstanding financial obligation to the university. Official transcripts bearing the university's raised seal will be issued only to other educational institutions, government agencies, or employers.

Dean's List

Students matriculated in a regular program can qualify for academic honors at the end of the fall and spring semesters if they have completed 12 or more degree credits in the semester, achieved a GPA of 3.00 or better in the semester, and have no incomplete grades or any grade lower than a "C" in the semester. The Dean's List is posted on the student transcript.

Policy on Academic Standing for Undergraduate Students

Academic Standing

NJIT is committed to enabling its matriculated students to reach graduation in a timely fashion.  The policies and procedures described here are meant to ensure that our students are aware of their academic status and receive the support they need to overcome any academic difficulties.  If, after appropriate intervention from NJIT, a student fails to make progress towards graduation, NJIT is committed to helping the student make alternative academic plans in a timely manner.

Academic standing is determined for matriculated students only and is recorded on their academic transcripts. The policies and procedures governing academic standing are the same for all students (full-time, part-time, and transfer students).

A student’s academic standing at NJIT is determined twice a year, at the end of the fall and spring semesters after grades for the aforementioned semesters have been submitted. Academic standing is based on both the cumulative grade point average (CUM GPA) and the semester grade point average (TERM GPA) the student has earned. Any conditions associated with the academic standing determined at the end of a semester are effective for the next academic semester. Regardless of performance in courses that students may take during summer or winter sessions (which are not considered regular semesters), academic standing for such sessions is the one determined at the end of the immediately prior fall or spring semester in which students were enrolled in courses.

Students determined to be in any category other than Good Standing are notified via electronic mail of their academic standing

The categories of academic standing, along with the corresponding policies, are given below. 

Good Standing

Students with TERM and CUM GPA of at least 2.0 are placed in Good Standing.

Academic Warning

Students are placed on Academic Warning in the following cases:

  1. They have completed their first semester at NJIT with a TERM GPA of at least 1.75 but lower than 2.0, or
  2. They have a TERM GPA lower than 2.0, a CUM GPA of at least 2.0, and have never previously had any academic standing other than Good Standing.

Students can be placed on Academic Warning only once during their studies at NJIT.

In the semester following the one in which they were placed on Academic Warning, students cannot attempt more than 15 credits and they must meet with their academic advisor as per the advisor’s specifications. If the student decides to take courses during the summer, the limit is 9 credits.

At the end of their first semester of enrollment after they have been placed on Academic Warning, students must earn a TERM (and CUM) GPA of at least 2.0 in order to be placed in Good Standing; otherwise, students are placed on Academic Probation.

Academic Probation

Students are placed on Academic Probation in the following cases:

  1. They have completed their first semester at NJIT with a TERM GPA lower than 1.75, or
  2. They have a TERM GPA lower than 2.0 and had been placed on Academic Warning in any prior semester at NJIT, or
  3. They have a CUM GPA below 2.0 and have never previously had any academic standing other than Good Standing (this rule is not applicable to students who have just completed their first semester at NJIT with a TERM GPA of at least 1.75).

Students can be placed on Academic Probation only once during their studies at NJIT.

In the semester following the one in which they were placed on Academic Probation, students cannot attempt more than 14 credits, must meet with their academic advisor as per the advisor’s specifications, and must follow an improvement plan as per the advisor’s recommendations. The plan may include the use of resources such as academic support workshops provided by the Advising Success Center (ASC). If the student decides to take courses during the summer, the limit is 9 credits.

At the end of their first semester of enrollment after they have been placed on Academic Probation, students must earn a CUM (and TERM) GPA of at least 2.0 in order to be placed in Good Standing; otherwise, students are placed on Academic Pre-Suspension or Academic Suspension.

Academic Pre-Suspension

Students are placed on Academic Pre-Suspension if at the end of their first semester of enrollment after they have been placed on Academic Probation, have a TERM GPA of at least 2.0 but their CUM GPA is still below 2.0. Students on Academic Pre-Suspension are given the opportunity to attempt up to a total of 12 credits to achieve a CUM GPA of 2.0 and return to Good Standing. Attempted credits refer to those for which an actual letter grade was earned as well as those for which a W (Withdrawal) has been entered. Students on Academic Pre-Suspension are only allowed to attempt credits in courses that have been explicitly approved by their academic advisor. While on Academic Pre-Suspension, students must meet with their academic advisor as per the advisor’s specifications. Students on Academic Pre-Suspension are not allowed to register for courses offered in the winter session. If the student decides to take courses during the summer, the limit is 9 credits.

At the end of their first semester of enrollment after they have been placed on Academic Pre-Suspension, students must earn a CUM (and TERM) GPA of at least 2.0 in order to be placed in Good Standing. If they have attempted 12 credits and their TERM (and CUM) GPA is below 2.0, students are placed on Academic Suspension; if they have attempted less than 12 credits and achieved a TERM GPA of at least 2.0, students are placed again on Academic Pre-Suspension and given a final semester to attempt the remaining of the 12 advisor-approved credits and achieve a CUM GPA of at least 2.0.

Academic Suspension

Students are placed on Academic Suspension in the following cases:

  1. They have either a TERM GPA or a CUM GPA lower than 2.0 and had been placed on Academic Probation in any of their prior semesters at NJIT, or
  2. They have a TERM (and CUM) GPA lower than 2.0 at the end of a semester following one in which they were placed on Academic Pre-Suspension.

Students can be placed on Academic Suspension only once during their studies at NJIT.

Students placed on Academic Suspension are not permitted to enroll in courses at NJIT unless they are reinstated, as described below.

Academic Dismissal

Students who reach the point of Academic Suspension after reinstatement following their first Academic Suspension are permanently dismissed from the university. Academically dismissed students can neither be reinstated nor readmitted to the university under any circumstances.

Student Appeals

Students cannot appeal any decision on their academic standing except a decision to place them on Academic Suspension. Information on how to file an appeal following placement on Academic Suspension is provided in the notification sent (via electronic mail) to the students regarding their academic standing. The appeal documents must be submitted electronically and are reviewed by the Committee on Undergraduate Academic Standing. The Committee does not meet in person with students filing appeals and its decision is final. Students with successful appeals are placed on Academic Pre-Suspension. Students are notified of the Committee’s decision via electronic mail.

Reinstatement after Academic Suspension

Students who are suspended from the university may apply for reinstatement after a lapse of at least one fall or spring semester. Final decisions about applications for reinstatement are made by the appropriate academic department on the basis of its written policy, after students have met with an academic advisor.

Extenuating Circumstances

The university continues to make every effort to protect students’ academic and personal information. Moreover, maintaining the confidentiality of students’ medical information is a legal and ethical duty, as defined by federal and state laws and regulations, and by the courts. Whenever students have a situation that affects their academic standing, it should be brought to the Dean of Students. This includes medical or psychological documentation to support a student’s claim. Students should not bring such information to their instructors, nor should it be requested by a faculty member. The Dean of Students has a physician and staff psychologists to evaluate such information to verify its legitimacy. The Dean of Students will then notify the faculty member(s) if a student has a legitimate absence and will ask that the student receive consideration in making up any missed course work or exam. This process ensures confidentiality of students’ information and, just as important, consistency in dealing with such matters.

Undergraduate Course Repetition Policy

An NJIT student may take a single course no more than four times at NJIT and/or another institution, including withdrawals. If an undergraduate course is repeated at NJIT, then the lowest of the grades is excluded in computation of the cumulative GPA and all other grades are included. All grades are shown on the student's transcript. In the case where the student passes the course by earning transfer credit, only the lowest letter grade (B, C, D, or F) is excluded from the GPA calculation.

Change of Major

Students seeking change of major must submit a Change of Major form to the Registrar, with signature approvals from the student's current and new department representatives. For students with an approved change of major, grades in all courses that are not applicable to students’ new majors, as determined by the new advisor, are excluded from the cumulative grade calculation. The new recalculated GPA will be in effect at the end of the semester in which the student transfers. Advisors arbitrate which classes can apply to new major. (Effective Summer 2011)

Class Standing

A student's class/year standing is determined by the number of course credits earned: first year standing, 0--28 credits; sophomore standing, 29--56 credits; junior standing, 57--90 credits; and senior standing, 91+ credits.


New Jersey Institute of Technology is authorized to grant degrees by the Commission on Higher Education. Each degree is certified by a diploma bearing the university seal and the signatures of officers of the university.

Candidates for graduation who satisfactorily complete a regular undergraduate program receive the bachelor's degree in the program pursued. Each prospective candidate for any degree must file an application for graduation on or before the deadline date set by the university.

In order to graduate, students must attain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in all the courses listed in the catalog as being required in the appropriate curriculum. They must also earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 in the upper division course requirements of their major as determined by the academic department offering the major.

Additive credit courses will be excluded from the calculation of the cumulative GPA requirements for graduation.

NJIT holds its annual commencement exercises in May of each year. Graduates who obtain their degree at any of the 3 degree dates (August, December or May) are encouraged to participate.

Credits That Must Be Taken at NJIT

To be eligible for graduation, students transferring to NJIT must complete in residence at NJIT, at least 33 credits in upper division courses approved by the department of their major study.

Graduation with Academic Honors

The academic honors of cum laude (GPA of 3.400--3.649), magna cum laude (GPA of 3.650-3.849), and summa cum laude (GPA of 3.850--4.00) are awarded to qualified students at graduation. Note that to be eligible for academic honors, students must complete a minimum of 60 credits in residence at NJIT, with at least 33 credits in upper division courses, counting towards their degree at NJIT.

The NJIT Presidential Medal is awarded to all graduating undergraduates with a grade of A in all courses taken at NJIT or transferred into NJIT that are counted toward degree requirements. To be eligible for the Presidential Medal, students must complete a minimum of 60 credits at NJIT, with at least 33 credits in upper division courses.

Expiration of Credit

For all degrees, course credits normally expire ten years after completion of the semester in which they were earned. Expired course credits cannot be used to fulfill degree requirements and must be replaced by current course credits. Students may apply to the department which offered the course or which approved the transfer of course credit for an extension of these course credits.

Preferred Name Policy*

NJIT recognizes that students may wish to be addressed by a name other than their legal name to identify themselves. For this reason, the university now allows students to apply for a preferred name where reasonably possible in the course of university business and education.

In order to initiate this process, a student must submit a Preferred Name Change form with the Office of the Registrar; the application of a preferred name may only be requested once an academic year and must be completed at least one week before the start of the next academic semester.  Depending on time of application, it may take several days for the preferred name to appear on university rosters.

Once a preferred name application has been approved, students may proceed to use the preferred name to identify themselves. Please note that some records may require the use of legal names only, such as Financial Aid and/or medical documentation.  Students who are utilizing a preferred name should always be prepared to reference their legal name as well as provide their college identification when necessary. 

NJIT reserves the right to decline or revoke an approved preferred name on the grounds the preferred name may be used for criminal or misrepresentation purposes, may be harmful to the reputation or interests of NJIT, and/or conveys inappropriate or offensive language or meaning.  In the rare circumstance when a denial is made, the student may appeal the decision in writing to the Registrar.  The Registrar will provide the appeal to the Dean of Students and Campus Life to reconsider the request and the denial.  Abuse or misuse of this policy and process may result in disciplinary action under the Code of Student Conduct.

Students requesting a preferred name under the age of 18 must submit written permission from a parent/legal guardian in addition to a Preferred Name Change form.

Note:  Students who have completed a legal name change must fill out a Request to Change Student Name form with the Office of the Registrar.

Preferred Name Will Appear:*

•   Athletic Team Rosters

•   Online directory

•   Class rosters

•   Commencement programs

•   Dean’s List

•   Library Records

•   Moodle

•   Residence Life Rosters

•   Student ID Card

•   Email display name

* Implementation of these functions may vary

Legal Name Will Appear:

•   Financial Aid and Billing Records and Communication

•   Official and Unofficial Transcripts

•   Paychecks & Paystubs

•   Registrar’s Office Records (i.e., permanent student file records)

•   Study Abroad (i.e., travel documents, signature documents)

•   Some official forms or correspondence from the University such as financial aid awards, residence life contracts, departmental or program notices, new hire forms, etc.

•   Transfer credit evaluation

•   Tax Records

•   Diplomas and certifications

•   Medical records

•   Admissions records

•   Disciplinary records

•   Law enforcement records

ID Cards

NJIT recognizes it may be important to students for the NJIT Photo Identification Card to reflect ones preferred name.  Approved students may request a new ID card with your preferred name from Facility Systems, Photo Identification and Parking Services Department located in the Laurel Hall Annex, on 141 Summit Street (at the corner of Summit and Warren Streets).  A one-time $25 ID printing fee will be waived for approved students. 

Gender Identity

In addition to a preferred name, students may request their legal gender (i.e., male, female) be removed from their student record. 

Process and Implementation

Beginning fall 2018, the university will launch the initial use of the Preferred Name policy as described above.  Updates will be communicated to the campus community as the necessary changes are complete to support continued implementation.

Student Privacy Concerns

Consistent with the Family Educational Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA), NJIT allows for the release of directory information, which includes a student’s preferred name.  If a student does not want their directory information disclosed to external organizations or persons, they can select "Do NOT show my profile". Members of the NJIT community can however view ones directory information through the "Advanced Search" function. Students can log into the Directory via

Students may also request to withhold disclosure of directory information altogether. New Jersey Institute of Technology assumes that failure on the part of any student to specifically request in writing preventing the disclosure of directory information indicates individual approval of disclosure.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a preferred name?

A “preferred name” is the name other than ones legal name that the student has indicated the desire to be identified by.  A “legal name” is the name recorded on the student’s legal identification (i.e., passport, birth certificate, Social Security card) and used on official NJIT records.

Are there any Preferred Name restrictions?

NJIT reserves the right to decline or revoke an approved Preferred Name if the preferred name may be used for criminal or misrepresentation purposes may be harmful to the reputation or interests of NJIT, and/or conveys inappropriate or offensive language/meaning.

When/why will NJIT departments/personnel continue to use my legal name?

NJIT departments, offices, and/or personnel often must use appropriate identification of students’ legal name to conduct university business and functions (i.e., sending reports to federal, State, and other government agencies that require legal identity verification). Students utilizing a preferred name should always be prepared to reference their legal name as well as provide university identification when necessary.

How long will it take for my preferred name registration to take effect?

Depending on the time a preferred name application was submitted to the Office of the Registrar, it may take several business days for the preferred name to begin appearing on certain university rosters.  NJIT does not guarantee the preferred name will appear in all locations or in all circumstances. 

What if I’ve already received identification with my legal name only?

Students who have already received identification with legal names only may apply for new identification reflecting the approved preferred name.

Will background checks include preferred names?

Students who register a preferred name must be aware that preferred names are required to be disclosed in certain circumstances, including during background checks and other legal processes.  The university is under a continued responsibility to report such names even after a student has discontinued use of the preferred name.