Special Programs
BS/MS and Dual Degree Programs

These accelerated dual degree programs permit undergraduates to earn credits toward a master's degree or a doctoral degree. Students in BS/MS take 6 credits of graduate course work in their senior year. These may be counted toward both a bachelor's degree and a following master's degree if enrollment as a graduate student in the master's degree program occurs within two years of completion of the bachelor's degree. After enrollment as a graduate student, those who wish to apply the 6 credits to the graduate degree program should contact the Office of Graduate Studies. Graduate study may be completed full or part-time.

Full-time undergraduate students become eligible to apply for the BS/MS program after they complete at least five courses in their major and have maintained a GPA of 3.0 or better.  Students in the Albert Dorman Honors College are pre-approved for the BS/MS program at the time of admission to NJIT but will receive letters about activating their status in BS/MS if their GPA is still above 3.0 and have earned between 57 and 110 undergraduate credits.  The activation letter will instruct Honors College students about contacting the Office of Graduate Studies.  All other students with a 3.0 or better GPA will have to submit an application for admission to the BS/MS program to the Office of Graduate Studies no later than one year prior to graduation.  Applicants must satisfy all university requirements for admission to graduate programs.

Exceptional students may seek to go into an NJIT doctoral program directly through the BS/PhD program and must have a record consistent with university criteria for doctoral study (3.5 GPA or better).  Up to 12 graduate credits may be taken in the senior year and applied later toward an NJIT doctoral program.  GRE scores are required for doctoral admission.

Several other combinations of Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees exist or are under development.  The number of dual-use credits for these combinations may exceed 6 credits in accordance with specific program requirements. An example is the B. Arch/MS in Management program which allows 12 dual-use credits.  Information and applications for BS/MS, BS/PhD, and other accelerated dual degree programs can be obtained from the Office of Graduate Studies, Suite 140 Fenster Hall.

BS/PhD Programs

Undergraduate students with GPAs of 3.5 or greater may wish to consider a direct path from completion of the bachelor's degree into a doctoral program.  Students approved for this option may be able to take 12 graduate credits while an undergraduate and use these for completion of the bachelor's degree and later toward the PhD program.  The Graduate Studies Office will invite students to consider this option after reviewing undergraduate records each semester.  GRE scores will be needed for formal admission to the PhD program.

MS/MS and Dual Master's Programs

The MS/MS program allows students to pursue a second NJIT master of science degree on completion of the first and to count two courses (6 credits) from the first degree toward the second. The option must be exercised within two years of completion of the first degree. The approval of the advisors of the two programs is required. The Office of Graduate Studies will direct the registrar on transfer of the two dual-use courses to the second program. The MS/MS program option is not intended for students who have left the doctoral program without completion of the degree. Up to 6 credits may be transferred to the second master's degree from outside NJIT. Thesis, project, pre-doctoral research, independent research and similar courses may not be used.

Several other master’s degree combinations can allow more than 6 credits to count toward both degrees. In general these apply to situations in which the first or the second degree programs requires considerably more than 30 credits.  Examples are the master of Architecture and the Master of Business Administration programs.  The allowable dual counting of credits for the Master of Architecture in combination with other programs is described in the catalog sections on Architecture and Infrastructure Planning.  Subject to specific course approval and the two year time limit for MS/MS as described above, up to 12 credits from a previously completed NJIT MS program in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Engineering Management may be applied toward completion of the 48 credit master of Business Administration degree program.  Subject to course approval, up to 18 credits may be used from a previously completed NJIT MS program in Management toward the completion of the 48 credit Master of Business Administration degree program.

The Collaborative Doctorate
This doctoral student option is designed to meet the workforce needs of the knowledge-dependent global economy of the 21st century recognizing the particular requirements of the practitioner. This option can meet the needs of engineers, managers, scientists, military personnel and educators who wish to pursue doctoral studies while employed full-time in the private, public and non-profit sectors.

Academic requirements are the same as for other NJIT doctoral programs but the collaborative nature of the program also allows participants to draw on the combined expertise and resources of the university and their employer. The program includes significant flexibility with opportunities for distance learning and independent study that are integrated with face-to-face classes.

To participate in this PhD program, students should first confer with their employer. Employees should seek a commitment from their employer that will facilitate participation and commitment to an area of research at an appropriate time. A senior researcher or manager may wish to serve on the student's dissertation committee.

Students must meet university requirements for admission to doctoral programs. Prior work, related research activity, publications and honors will be evaluated in addition to traditional academic criteria.

Doctoral students are expected to have been employed in their field for at least five years, and to have completed a related master's degree. They are expected to continue employment until they complete all degree requirements. Annual reviews of progress will be conducted. Students may perform dissertation research at their employer's facilities. Dissertation research can be derived from interests of the student and may be related to their professional activity.

Dissertation research must satisfy university policies. The student's dissertation committee defines residency requirements. It is expected that the employer will permit a concentrated effort on dissertation research. Seminar requirements are also defined by the dissertation committee and may allow presentations or attendance at professional society meetings in place of on-campus seminars. Credit requirements must meet university standards for the doctorate. Course selection is based on previous activities and the current state of knowledge of the student. Dissertation research is expected to investigate or develop an original contribution to science, technology or management. Research may be experimental, analytical, applied or theoretical provided that it satisfies all criteria set by the dissertation committee.

Employers who have a proprietary interest in dissertation research including patent, copyright and technology transfer rights are expected to execute formal agreements with the university before research begins.

Student Exchange/Study Abroad

NJIT offers a number of international exchange opportunities for both undergraduate and graduate students throughout the world. Through established exchange agreements, participants are provided with opportunities to enhance their technological skills, expand their cultural horizons, and gain educational experience from an international perspective. Students gain firsthand knowledge of political, social, and economic systems of a rapidly changing world.

Students may elect to study for one semester or for a full time academic year. NJIT students pay tuition and fees at NJIT and room and board at the host institution. Financial aid may be applied to these expenses.

With the prior written approval of the student's academic advisor, academic credit may be awarded for courses taken while participating in an international exchange program. Some programs may require proficiency in the language of the host country, especially if the language of instruction for course work is not English.

For further information, contact the Office of International Students and Faculty, (973) 596-2451 or visit

Community and Public Service

Graduate students may also receive financial support through participation in the NJIT Service Corps. Through experiential learning activities, students link classroom theory and concepts with practical application, contribute their expertise and develop leadership, decision-making and interpersonal skills through involvement with non-profit and governmental agencies and community-based organizations.

  • Community Service Work Study: Off-campus employment that is course- and major-related in non-profit and governmental agencies and community-based organizations for eligible Federal Work Study graduate students.
  • Housing Scholars: Merit-based, competitive full-time summer employment in community-based organizations that design and develop plans for affordable housing projects around the state. Students pursuing graduate degrees in civil engineering, management, computer science and computer engineering who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, have completed 6 credits of graduate study, are in good academic standing, have satisfied all other university requirements for financial support, and are approved by their department's co-op advisor are eligible to apply. Architecture students may apply after completing 14 credits of first-year required graduate courses and if they have an overall cumulative 3.2 GPA or above. However, participation cannot begin until 28 credits are completed.
  • Service Learning: Course-based, students can register for classes that include a community Service Learning option or register for faculty-monitored independent study that includes a community Service Learning component.

For more information, contact the Division of Career Development Services, Community and Public Service, (973) 596-3100.

Maintained by University Web Services. Date of last update: 04/02/2009 13:43:17