Academic Policy and Procedures
The academic calendar lists the dates classes begin and end, dates on which the university is closed for holidays, deadline dates for registration and withdrawal and other dates of interest to the academic community. It may also be accessed at

Registration for Courses at NJIT
Registration is required each semester. The Registrar's office is located in the Student Mall, on the ground floor of the parking deck. The office is open when classes are in session, Monday through Thursday, from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Registration procedures for each category of student are listed below.

NJIT has an advance self-registration system that obligates all students currently enrolled in graduate degree programs to register in advance for their courses. An approved registration guarantees class seats until the first class meeting. Students who do not attend the first class meeting may lose their place in class.

All admitted students register online via the registrar's Web site at

Currently Enrolled Students Currently enrolled students are informed of registration procedures for the fall and spring semesters by the Office of the Registrar during April and October respectively, and must then register during the advance registration period. Students who fail to comply with these instructions are charged a late fee. Instructions for the summer session are provided separately and mailed to students. Currently enrolled extension and distance-learning students are informed of registration procedures for fall, spring and summer semesters by the Division of Continuing Professional Education.

New and Readmitted Students The Office of University Admissions informs prospective and readmitted students of registration procedures.

International Students
New international students are only permitted to register after attending the required international student orientation program and must register in person. International students who register appropriately for full-time study will be reported in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) administered by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency.

Non-Matriculated Students Non-matriculated students should contact the Office of University Admissions for details of admission and registration procedures at least one month before the date of intended enrollment. Extension and distance-learning students should contact the Division of Continuing and Professional Education.

Approval of Initial Registration
NJIT degree programs are purposely flexible to meet a variety of career and personal objectives within minimum requirements. Students are required to arrange a conference with their graduate advisor as soon as possible after notification of admission to formulate a course of study that meets the requirements of the particular degree program and reflects the interests and aspirations of the individual student. New students are required to obtain advisor approval for initial course registration. Advisors are available for international students during the international student orientation program.

Auditing a Course
Students who wish to audit a course must state their intention to do so at the time of registration. Change in auditing status is not permitted once a semester has begun. Students who audit are required to pay full tuition and fees for the course. Financial awards are not applicable to audited courses. Audited courses are not counted in determining full-time status. Students on probation are not permitted to audit. Students who wish to attend a course must have an authorized reason for attendance and a registration in that course (regular or audit) and cannot merely "sit in" at their own discretion.

Undergraduate Registration in Graduate Courses
Undergraduate students who wish to take 500- or 600-level courses must obtain the written approval of the graduate advisor for the program that offers the course, their undergraduate advisor and submit an "Approval for Undergraduates Taking Graduate Courses" form.  If undergraduates wish to take 600-level courses, they must also obtain written approval from the chairperson of the department offering the course. Undergraduates are not permitted to take 700-level courses.

Undergraduate students who enroll in graduate courses for undergraduate credit pay tuition at the undergraduate rate. Grades will follow the graduate grading system.

The undergraduate and academic advisor will review the student's academic record prior to approval. Approval can be granted only to students who have completed the appropriate prerequisites for the course and are in satisfactory academic standing. The approval will be noted on an "Approval for Undergraduates Taking Graduate Courses" form that requires appropriate signatures and reports the student's cumulative undergraduate GPA.  Students shall have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.5 to be approved for registration in 500-level courses (500G for Architecture) and 2.8 for registration in 600-level courses.

Students whose undergraduate GPA is below the 2.5 or 2.8 minima, are considering courses out of the student's current major, are lacking appropriate prerequisites, have completed any prior graduate courses with a grade below a B, or have already completed 9 or more credits at the 500 level and above (15 credits for those in the B.S./M.S. program), or have an excessive number of credits for the undergraduate degree will also require review by the associate provost of graduate studies and the program advisors.

Undergraduate students should be aware that need-based financial aid may not be sustainable for registration in graduate courses.

Graduate Registration in Undergraduate Courses
Graduate students may be asked to register in undergraduate courses as conditions of admission, as bridge courses or by direction of the graduate advisor for their current program. Enrollment in other undergraduate courses requires the approval of the associate provost of graduate studies or the graduate advisor, and the undergraduate department offering the course. Tuition for these courses is assessed at the graduate rate. Grades will follow the undergraduate grading system.

Multiple Registration
A student generally cannot be matriculated in more than one graduate degree program at a time. Special circumstances may require the approval of the associate provost of graduate studies and the director of graduate admissions. This also applies to programs run cooperatively with Rutgers-Newark and UMDNJ. Currently enrolled graduate students who wish to enroll in a subsequent graduate degree program should NOT file an application for admission to the new program until they are in the final semester of their initial program. In addition, students may not be enrolled in both a degree and a non-degree graduate program or as an undergraduate and graduate student simultaneously.

Students should consult the Office of University Admissions when contemplating a change in program enrollment. Students should refer to "Change of Major" under Admissions in this catalog.

Course Additions and Schedule Changes
Students who add a course to their program will be charged the full tuition and fee for the course added; however, the flat rate (12--19 credits) may still apply. Students who add a course to their program will be charged the full tuition and fee for the course added.  All schedule changes are completed via Highlander Pipeline and a schedule change fee will be assessed during late registration as determined by the Registrar.

Courses cannot be added after the fifth day of the semester. Students cannot receive credit for courses if they are not registered. Attendance in a class without proper registration for that class is not permitted.

Withdrawal from Course(s)
Students who wish to withdraw from one or more courses should first determine if the withdrawal would have an impact on full-time status, financial support, or academic standing and progress. They should consult their advisor or the Office of Graduate Studies in advance. International students must consult with the Office of International Students and Faculty because of the possible impact of federal reporting of status in SEVIS. Withdrawals are done by completing and submitting a Schedule Change Form to the Registrar's Office by the end of the ninth week of the semester. This form requires the signature of the instructor(s). It is available from the Registrar's Office. Failure to submit this form to the registrar by the deadline will result in a final grade other than W.

Discontinued attendance or verbal approval alone to withdraw will not result in a W and most likely will instead result in an undesirable final grade, generally an F or U.

Project, Thesis and Dissertation
Students may not register for project, thesis or dissertation credits until they arrange for a department- or program-approved faculty advisor to supervise the work. Continued registration for additional thesis, project or dissertation credits within the overall time limits for completion will be allowed as long as the advisor grades the work to show that there is satisfactory progress. Credits for which a U (unsatisfactory) grade is given are not counted as degree credits toward completion of the thesis, project or dissertation.

Master's project, master's thesis, or doctoral dissertation registration must be at least 3 credits during a semester. Summer session registration, if needed to allow completion for the August 31st degree date, must be at least 3 credits.

All students must have the program advisor's approval and appropriate section identification each time they register for project, thesis, dissertation, pre-doctoral research, co-op, or independent study. Students must register within the deadlines established by the registrar.

Maximum credit registration each semester is 12 credits for the doctoral dissertation, 6 credits for the master's thesis and 3 credits for the master's project. Additional credit registrations, beyond 12, for doctoral dissertations, will require approval of the associate provost of graduate studies. It is highly recommended that the masters thesis registration be only 3 credits in a semester unless a single semester completion is anticipated.

Once a student has begun a master's project, master's thesis or doctoral dissertation, the student must register for these courses each semester until the project, thesis or dissertation is completed. Unapproved interruptions in project, thesis or dissertation may be subject to billing for omitted credits.

Students must be registered in project, thesis or dissertation in any semester or summer session in which completion is expected. The advisor for thesis or dissertation assigns the final grade of P when the Office of Graduate Studies confirms it has received all documents in final and approved form and all related bills have been paid.

Approval by the graduate program advisor and the Office of Graduate Studies must be obtained if the student wishes to interrupt the thesis, project or dissertation for a semester or more. Students may neither maintain registration, nor fail to register without notifying and getting approval from the graduate program advisor and the Office of Graduate Studies. If a master's project is not completed after two semesters' registration, a final grade of F is given. Failure to complete a master's project by students who received financial support to do the project may result in dismissal. The university complies with all state and federal laws related to military service.

No more than four semesters and two summers of registration for a master's thesis are permitted. Failure to complete a master's thesis within this period will result in a final grade of U, and may result in dismissal.

No more than six years of registration for doctoral dissertation is permitted. Failure to complete a doctoral dissertation in this period will result in a final grade of U, and dismissal from the program.

Students who require additional time to complete a project, thesis or dissertation should appeal for an extension, in writing, to the graduate program advisor, the academic department, and the Office of Graduate Studies.

Continuous Registration Requirement, Programs
Once admitted to a degree program, students must be continuously registered for credit each semester until they complete degree requirements, unless they have been approved for a leave of absence by the Office of Graduate Studies.

Continuous Registration Requirement, Project/Thesis/Dissertation
Once a project, thesis, or dissertation has begun, students must register in these each semester until completion. MR (maintaining registration) is not permitted in place of a credit registration for project, thesis, or dissertation. The grade of I is not permitted for project, thesis, or dissertation.

Students who complete work for projects, theses or dissertations over several semesters receive a grade in the semester in which the work is completed and the final document is approved and received in proper format.

Domestic students enrolled in graduate programs who find it necessary to temporarily discontinue their studies may either maintain registration, request a leave of absence, or voluntarily discontinue. A discontinuance form must be filed with the Office of Graduate Studies. International students may not discontinue studies without approval, but should seek approval for a leave of absence at which time maintaining registration may be authorized. Students who have discontinued must follow procedures defined by the offices of University Admissions and Graduate Studies to resume their studies.

Leave of Absence
Students who anticipate a protracted absence from the university may request a leave of absence from the Office of Graduate Studies. Students requesting a leave of absence for medical reasons will be required to consult with the Office of Health Services first. Leaves are granted for up to one year and may be extended for a second year. Leaves of absence are not counted toward the seven-year period in which the degree must be completed, but rules regarding expiration of credit do apply for course work, projects, thesis and dissertation research. Students returning, on-time, from an approved leave of absence are generally not required to apply for readmission but are required to inform the Office of Graduate Studies and the Office of University Admissions on their return. International students may be required to apply for readmission and file new financial documents. They also are required to consult with their graduate advisor. The university complies with all state and federal laws related to military service.

To all students, advisors and faculty
The university continues to make every effort to protect students' academic and personal information. Moreover, maintaining the confidentiality of students' medical information is a legal and ethical duty, as defined by federal and state laws and regulations, and by the courts. Whenever students have a situation that affects their academic standing, it should be brought to the Dean of Students. This includes medical or psychological documentation to support a student's claim. Students should not bring such information to their instructors, nor should it be requested by a faculty member. The Dean of Students has a physician and staff psychologists to evaluate such information to verify its legitimacy. The Dean of Students will then notify the faculty member(s) if a student has a legitimate absence and will ask that the student receive consideration in making up any missed course work or exam. This process ensures confidentiality of students’ information and, just as important, consistency in dealing with such matters.

Readmission After Voluntary Discontinuance
Students who have voluntarily discontinued their studies without receiving a leave of absence, and who have not been dismissed from the NJIT graduate program must apply for readmission to the Office of University Admissions by the application deadline. A non-refundable application fee of $60 must accompany applications. Applicants are subject to all probationary and unmet conditions in force at the time they discontinued their studies. Program requirements at the time of readmission will apply in addition to satisfaction of any prior unmet conditions. Application deadlines are:

For the Fall semester June 5
For the Spring semester October 15

Maintenance of Registration
Students enrolled in a degree program who find it necessary to temporarily discontinue their studies are permitted to maintain registration with approvals as note above, for a fee of $60 for each semester they do not register and for a maximum of two consecutive semesters. Students working on project, thesis or dissertation are generally not permitted to register for maintaining registration. International students on F-1 and J-1 visa status may not maintain registration unless they have obtained prior written permission from the Office of International Students and Faculty.

Students who maintain registration are mailed registration notices for the following semester and are not required to reapply for admission. To maintain registration, students must register for "Maintaining Registration" on the registration Web site.

Each semester in which registration is maintained is counted in the total time period allotted to complete degree requirements except for students with an approved leave of absence. The Graduate Studies Office and the academic department will generally place registration holds on students who maintain registration for two semesters or more.

Responsibility for Registration
NJIT emails notices in advance, but cannot guarantee delivery. Regardless, students are expected to obtain all necessary information and comply with all registration procedures on time. Students who receive financial support must be in attendance at NJIT and will not be permitted to have other persons register for them.

Scheduling of Classes
Graduate courses at NJIT and at Extension Sites are, in general, scheduled for late afternoon and evening hours and Saturdays for the convenience of those employed full-time. Evening courses normally begin at 6 p.m. and end at 9 p.m. Some laboratory sessions begin at 6 p.m. and end at 9:50 p.m.

Courses in heavy demand may be scheduled for additional sections if adequate enrollment can be assured. Day and evening classes during the summer months are possible under the same conditions. Special programs such as the Executive Management program and those offered by Distance Learning have their own schedules.

Course Cancellations
The university does not guarantee offering all or any of the courses listed in this catalog. When there is inadequate registration, a course may be cancelled without notice. The registrar will attempt to notify all students of course cancellations before the first meeting of the semester.

Room Changes
Room and laboratory changes are in the online schedule maintained by the Registrar via Highlander Pipeline.

Courses Taken at Other Colleges

Cross-Registration Procedures
Students may take courses at UMDNJ and Rutgers-Newark College of Arts and Sciences provided that the:

  • Course is used toward a degree.
  • Course is not offered at NJIT, or, because of a conflict in schedule, cannot be taken at NJIT.
  • Approval is obtained, in advance, from the student's advisor.
  • Approved cross-registration form is submitted by the student to the host school. The course must also be included on the NJIT registration form.

Students in joint programs should register at the school that admitted them to their current degree program. Students from Rutgers-Newark and UMDNJ must be matriculated in graduate programs at their home institution to cross-register for NJIT courses. Students from Rutgers-Newark and UMDNJ who cross-register into NJIT are considered NJIT non-matriculated students and are therefore limited to 9 credits maximum. In order to take more than 9 credits, these students would have to apply and be admitted as matriculated students for an NJIT graduate degree program.

Summer course registration procedures, and inclusion of courses on NJIT transcripts for students wishing to take courses at Rutgers-Newark and UMDNJ, are determined by the registrar. In general, cross-registration cannot occur for summer sessions.

Registration at Another College
To take graduate courses at colleges other than those in the cross-registration program, students must obtain prior approval from their advisor and the associate provost of graduate studies. Students should review the section on "Transfer of Credit" if they wish to transfer these courses to an NJIT program.

Tuition remission from NJIT is not available for courses taken at educational institutions not participating in NJIT's cross-registration program.

Transfer Credits
Transfer credits are calculated by NJIT according to the total number of instructional minutes earned at the other institution. The equivalent instructional minutes of a maximum of 9 credits of graduate work, taken within seven years, from accredited US educational institutions may be transferred and applied to degree requirements at NJIT. Credits from educational institutions outside the United States (except Canada) cannot be transferred as individual courses. On a case by case basis, up to 9 transfer credits may be considered for non-collegiate-based instruction after evaluation by the associate provost of graduate studies. The university does not grant transfer credit for work experience or other non-instructional activities.

Groups of courses may sometimes be accepted as a block of credits toward some types of programs.  An appropriate prior Master's degree is often accepted as a block equivalent to 30 credits toward a PhD program at NJIT.  Subject to specific MBA program conditions, an equivalent block of 12 credits can be accepted from a graduate degree previously awarded by a US AACSB accredited management program or internationally from a program accredited by AACSB or an AACSB-affiliated accrediting agency.  For the MBA program, the proposed block must be based on courses with grades of B or better and on courses with equivalent credit values of 3 or more credits

Credits are transferred only if the courses were taken for full academic credit, were never applied to any other degree, and a final grade of at least B (3.0 GPA equivalent) was attained. In addition, the student's graduate advisor and the Office of Graduate Studies must agree that such courses directly relate to the student's program of study before they can be transferred.

Requests for transfer credit must be submitted on a form available from the Office of Graduate Studies, accompanied by course descriptions from the other educational institution. Students must also arrange for the other institution to send an official transcript to the Office of Graduate Studies at NJIT. Requests may be submitted and approved at any time but are not added to a student's record until matriculation is granted and one semester completed. Grades that are transferred will not be calculated in cumulative GPAs.

Transfer of Credits Within NJIT
A student may transfer credits from one program to another program within NJIT under certain circumstances. This type of transfer requires consultation with The Office of Graduate Studies but does not require completion of a transfer credit form or submittal of NJIT transcripts.  All graduate credits taken at NJIT, regardless of the major, appear on a general transcript.

Academic Standing

Enrollment Status
Students registered for 9 credits or more throughout an entire semester are considered full-time. International students must be in full-time status every semester. The Office of International Students and Faculty will report, in SEVIS, international students who meet the full-time definition under F-1 regulation 8CFR 214(f)(6). Any international students unsure of their status should contact the office at 973-596-2451 or e-mail to Students who are not registered for 9 credits and do not meet the conditions for full-time certification are considered part-time.

Full-time Certification
The Office of Graduate Studies may certify students as full-time even if they are not registered for 9 credits, under any of the following circumstances:

  • If a master's thesis registration is included in a prior semester, an additional semester for a maximum of two with only a master's thesis registration is acceptable
  • Students have fewer than 9 credits remaining for completion of all degree requirements and are registered for all credits needed to complete the degree. This certification can only be given for one semester.
  • Doctoral candidates who completed all required course work, and accumulated the required dissertation credits but have yet to complete the dissertation and defense, are registered in Dissertation Research (and seminar if required) for at least 1 credit each semester.
  • Students originally registered for 9 credits but have substantial extenuating circumstances that require a reduction in course load. Normally this certification applies only in cases of medical or similar emergencies that incapacitate a student for a significant part of a semester. Improper course registration, failure to seek proper advisement, inadequate academic progress, or risk of earning a weak or failing grade are not extenuating circumstances. Inability of an international student who had earlier filed a financial attestation to pay tuition and fees, is also not an extenuating circumstance.
  • Students on a full-time cooperative education assignment are registered in a graduate co-op work experience or equivalent course. The Office of Graduate Studies should be consulted for limits on cooperative education because cooperative education has an influence on full-time certification and allowable time to complete the degree.
  • Audited courses and withdrawn courses do not count toward full-time status; ESL (English as a Second Language) courses do count as one course each.

Half-time Students
For federal, financial aid, and other reporting purposes, half-time graduate student status may be defined for students registered for 6 credits or fewer during a semester. Contact the Office of Graduate Studies for more information.

The following grades are used for graduate courses:

A 4.0 Excellent
B+ 3.5 Good
B 3.0 Acceptable
C+ 2.5 Marginal Performance
C 2.0 Minimum Performance
F 0.0 Failure
I   Incomplete
W   Approved Withdrawal
AUD   Audited (no academic credit)
S or U   Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory
P   Passing for Master's Thesis or Doctoral Dissertation

(Unlike undergraduate courses, there is no D grade for graduate courses. Assigned grades must be consistent with the level of the course and not the matriculation level of the student in the course. Grades used in GPA calculations (A, B+, B, C+, C, and F) are not to be used as grades for dissertation research (790), pre-doctoral research (792), master's thesis, 0, 1/2, and 1 credit seminars, co-op, teaching methods, and ESL courses. Incompletes are not assignable for these courses with the exception of co-op as described later.)

Project, Thesis and Dissertation Grades
Grades for these courses are S or U until completion. Students who do not complete a project, thesis or dissertation in a semester, regardless of accumulated credits, must register again for 3 credits of project or thesis, or at least 1 credit of dissertation (per program requirements) in the following semester.

Final Grades in Project, Thesis and Dissertation
Letter grades bearing on the GPA are given for satisfactory completion of a project. The final grade for a completed and approved thesis or dissertation is P. Theses and dissertations require a successful defense before the thesis or dissertation committee after which the P is assigned. Theses and dissertations are submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies. Projects are submitted to the project graduate advisor.

Semester and cumulative GPA calculations by the registrar only include courses for which a letter grade is given. For the purpose of the GPA, the registrar only calculates the grades for credits earned in the semester in which the project, thesis or dissertation is completed. Letter grades cannot be given for an unfinished project or thesis, nor for work not submitted. Receipt of two U grades for project, thesis, dissertation, or pre-doctoral research can result in dismissal from the program.

Special Topics
Regular letter grades are assigned for special topics courses.

Independent Study
Regular letter grades are assigned for independent study courses.

A grade of I (Incomplete) is given when courses cannot be completed because of special circumstances. Students on academic probation are not permitted a grade of  incomplete without permission from the Office of Graduate Studies. Required course work may be finished at the discretion of the instructor, no later than the end of the subsequent semester. Receipt of an I does not require or suggest attendance in the courses in a following semester. A letter grade must be assigned by then or a grade of F will be automatically assigned. Students nominated for financial awards must have I grades resolved by the fourth week of the subsequent semester to allow a determination of their eligibility for the award. The new grade cannot be changed.

A grade of I cannot be given for thesis, project, dissertation, seminar, pre-doctoral research, or English as a Second Language (ESL) courses. Students in joint programs or cross-registered from or with Rutgers-Newark should note that NJIT has a different and much earlier deadline for resolution of I's before they automatically become F's. Some departments may assign an initial I for co-op courses, which may be changed to an S or U based on submittal of a report by the student to the co-op advisor. Students continuing for a second consecutive registration period in co-op with the same employer will have an I assigned as a grade for the first registration.  This will be changed to S or U, based on co-op performance and evaluation by the co-advisor at the end of the second registration period.

Satisfactory and Unsatisfactory
The grades S or U report progress in project, thesis, dissertation, and pre-doctoral research courses. These also can be final grades in seminar, co-op, teaching methods and ESL courses. The grade of S is given for satisfactory progress and U is given for unsatisfactory progress. Students who fail to meet with their advisors or do not satisfy relevant attendance requirements will receive a U grade. Credits for courses in which U is received cannot count toward a degree.

Grade Reports
The registrar no longer issues grade reports. Grades may be viewed using a confidential password and identification number at, the registrar's home page.

Grade Changes
Grade change requests will not be accepted after the end of the subsequent semester. Students should carefully monitor their records and contact the Registrar or the Office of Graduate Studies about any missing or incorrect grades no later than the end of the following semester.

Grade Disputes
Students are expected to resolve disputes about grades with their instructors. If they cannot reach a satisfactory settlement with their instructor, students are permitted to request the intervention of the chairperson of the department and the dean of the school or college. Most schools and colleges have defined procedures for grade disputes coordinated by the dean of the school or college. The associate provost of graduate studies may be consulted.

In all cases, final authority to award grades rests with the instructor.

Special Circumstances
Students should bring to the attention of the associate provost of graduate studies any special circumstances that may adversely affect academic standing. This action must be taken as soon as such circumstances develop.

Course Repetition
Graduate students may request approval to repeat a course using a form available from the Office of Graduate Studies. The grade received in a repeated course is calculated in the cumulative GPA, but the first grade still appears on the transcript. A maximum of two courses may be repeated in matriculated graduate study. Students may not repeat a course without prior approval from the department and the Office of Graduate Studies. Non-matriculated students, including certificate students, may repeat a maximum of one course. Students who receive an F in a course will be required to repeat that course.

When a student repeats the same course in a future semester, the Banner system will be programmed to automatically calculate the grade from the second enrollment in the cumulative GPA. The associate provost of graduate studies should be consulted if the course is no longer offered or not applicable to the student's current program or other extenuating circumstances are believed to exist.

Transcript of Grades
Students who wish to obtain a transcript issued on their behalf must submit a request in writing to the registrar. A fee for each copy must accompany written transcript requests. Allow 10 days to process the request. Transcripts will not be issued to or on behalf of a student with outstanding financial obligations to the university. Official transcripts bearing the university's raised seal will be issued only to other educational institutions, government agencies, or employers. Under no circumstances will official transcripts be issued to students.

Progress Toward Degree

Academic Performance and Satisfactory Progress Policy
New Jersey Institute of Technology requires that students maintain satisfactory progress in working toward a degree. Federal and state regulations governing financial aid and awards require that students receiving aid from government agencies must meet academic performance and progress requirements defined by the university and approved by the appropriate government agencies. Students are responsible for checking regularly with the office of the department of major study or the Office of Graduate Studies to determine if they are fulfilling degree requirements.

The Office of Graduate Studies, along with academic departments, reviews academic standing of all graduate students at the end of each semester. To have satisfactory academic standing, students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above, meet all university requirements and be making satisfactory progress toward a degree. Students who do not have satisfactory academic standing are subject to academic warning, academic probation or academic dismissal.

Academic Warning
Students who have completed at least one full-time semester (or its equivalent of 9 credits) and do not have satisfactory academic standing may be asked to meet with their graduate advisor and also by the Office of Graduate Studies to visit in-person to review their academic record.

Academic Probation
Students who have completed two or more semesters, or more than 9 credits, and do not achieve satisfactory academic standing may be placed on academic probation or be subject to dismissal. Conditions for continuing graduate study at NJIT are sent, in writing, to students on academic probation. The Office of Graduate Studies will work with advisors and students to determine approaches toward successful program completion. Course repetition or the taking of up to 6 additional credits are typical recommendations for students whose GPA is below 3.0 and have the ability to raise the GPA to 3.0 with appropriate grades.

Students on academic probation may not maintain registration without the approval of the Office of Graduate Studies. Academic probation may be noted on the permanent academic record.

Students may be dismissed from Graduate Studies for cause at any time. Cause shall include, but is not limited to:

  • Failing to meet the conditions of admission.
  • Failing to maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 after completing one semester or attempting at least 9 credits.
  • Failing to make satisfactory progress toward a degree.
  • Failing to meet the requirements for graduation.
  • Failing a required or repeated course more than once.
  • Failing to satisfy requirements for project, thesis, or dissertation within the required time limits.
  • Failing doctoral qualifying and similar examinations required for continuing studies in the program, or failing to take examinations within prescribed time limits.
  • Professional conduct offenses as defined in the NJIT Code of Professional Conduct.
  • Making a false representation relating to admission, registration, or the awarding of financial support.
  • Failure to pay all tuition, fees and other charges within the required time limits.

Dismissal is noted on the permanent academic record.

Decisions relating to a graduate student's academic status are made in accordance with regulations approved by the faculty and its standing committees. Committees include, but are not limited to, the Graduate Council and the Committee on Academic Affairs.

Students who disagree with a decision should attempt to resolve the matter with those immediately responsible. When a matter cannot be resolved at this level, students should appeal to the chairperson of the department and then to the dean of the school or college. At any time, the student may request that the associate provost of graduate studies be consulted.

A graduate student who remains dissatisfied may appeal the decision to the Committee on Graduate Appeals through the Office of Graduate Studies. The Committee on Graduate Appeals is chaired by the Provost. The committee's decision, made in writing, is final. Student requests for review or appeal must be in writing and state accurately and completely the decision being appealed, when it was made, by whom, and the reason for the request. Requests should be sent to the associate provost of graduate studies. A copy of the request together with information that defines the student's record are distributed to the committee members for their consideration.

Readmission if Dismissed
Students dismissed from NJIT for academic reasons may apply for readmission to another degree program after at least one calendar year.

Dismissed students who seek readmission should apply to the Office of University Admissions at least two months before the date of intended readmission. These students must complete, in full, the application for admission and provide all requested documentation, regardless of previous applications. Readmission is treated as a new application. Readmits compete against all other applicants for admission that semester. The circumstances and conditions of the dismissal will be considered in the readmission process.

Students dismissed for professional conduct offenses or for making false representation will not be readmitted to NJIT.

Students who reapply should also include supportive material to justify readmission. Such material may include, but not be limited to, scores obtained in the GRE or GMAT, grades obtained in graduate level work at other institutions, letters of recommendation, and a statement by the applicant. A non-refundable fee of $60 must accompany applications.

General Graduate Degree Requirements

Graduate degree candidates must achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in all graduate-level courses (500 level and above) and satisfy other academic and non-academic requirements. These include financial obligations to the university. Until the Office of Graduate Studies verifies that all tuition bills and fees have been paid, and that any required master's thesis or doctoral dissertation has been completed in the appropriate format, degrees will not be certified. Students whose programs require a thesis or dissertation must complete these within time limits, format, and policy prescribed by the Office of Graduate Studies. Master's theses and doctoral dissertations must be submitted for final approval to the Office of Graduate Studies. Master's projects need to be submitted only to the advisor or program office. At least three program approval signatures are required for master's theses; at least five are required for doctoral dissertations. Fees that must be paid include, but are not limited to, the binding fee, publishing fee, copyright fee, and graduation fee.

Grade Point Average Calculation
GPAs are calculated for each semester and cumulatively for the entire graduate record. In order to obtain a graduate degree, candidates must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in all graduate-level courses, exclusive of grades in master's project, master's thesis or doctoral dissertation. All 500 level (500G for Architecture) or higher graduate courses are included in the cumulative graduate GPA. Only the initial grades for graduate courses that have been repeated (with a maximum of two allowed) are excluded from GPA calculations. Undergraduate credits taken by graduate students are not counted. Some programs also may require a 3.0 GPA in designated core course requirements.

In addition, the cumulative GPA for all courses counted for the degree, exclusive of master's project, master's thesis or doctoral dissertation, must be 3.0 or better. Grades for master's project must be a B or better. Successful completion of the master's thesis and the defense or the doctoral dissertation and the defense will be assigned a grade of P for passing. The P grade is for the thesis or dissertation credits taken in the student's final semester.

Theses and Dissertations
Theses and dissertations submitted for graduate degrees must follow a prescribed university format. The approved format is based on the Estrin/Roche manual: Guidelines for Scientific and Professional Theses. The Office of Graduate Studies provides seminars, guidance documents and continuing assistance for students. The office or its web site should be consulted for more information.

Degrees cannot be certified until the Graduate Studies Office receives and approves the final thesis or dissertation documents with all related requirements completed.  The Graduate Studies Office will notify the advisor and the registrar that these documents have been approved before a final grade of P can be assigned.  The NJIT Library handles the scanning of completed theses and dissertations into the NJIT website and works with the external bindery.  Students are notified by the Library about availability of completed and bound theses and dissertations, typically several months after degree completion.  The Graduate Studies Office can make arrangements, for a specified period, for sequestering a completed thesis or dissertation for proprietary or patent reasons, if requested by the student or the advisor.

Special Topics
Special Topics courses are occasionally offered by departments to present new areas of study or of high demand where rapid developments in the field have not allowed time for formal approval of specifically named courses in advance of the offering. These are announced by the departments in time for registration and are typically well-enrolled. They may be at the master's or doctoral level. There is no university limitation on the number of special topics courses that may be taken.

Independent Study
Some programs permit up to three independent study courses (a total of 9 credits) to be taken by graduate students. Independent study is for students who want highly specialized study with a specific faculty member in areas in which specifically titled courses are not normally available. Most departments offer independent study at both the master's and doctoral level. Students should see their advisors regarding independent study options. For students in doctoral programs, a maximum of two independent study courses may be used to partially satisfy the 700-level course requirements. Enrollment in independent study may be as low as one student under a faculty section number.

Expiration of Credit
For all degrees, credits expire seven years after completion of the semester in which they are earned. Expired courses cannot be used to fulfill degree requirements and must be replaced by current credits.

Degree requirements must be completed within seven consecutive years of original admission. Approved leaves of absence do not count against the seven-year limit for completion of the degree although the validity of individual courses may still expire during this time. Requests for waivers of the seven-year limit for extenuating circumstances, other than mere failure to register, are made to the associate provost of graduate studies. The technical content and remaining currency of courses is considered in evaluating these requests. The majority of courses in rapidly changing fields (such as computer science) are not likely to be accepted after seven years.

Awarding of Degrees
Degrees are awarded three times each academic year: August, January and May. The university conducts its commencement ceremony once per year, normally in May. Candidates for graduation must file an Application for Candidacy with the registrar. The application must be consistent with the student's program of admission and current record. Forms are available at Applications received after the specified deadline are accepted for the requested degree date at the discretion of the registrar and are subject to a late fee. Unsuccessful applications will be automatically added to the next commencement list and students will be billed for the appropriate fees. This will be done a maximum of three times.

MS students who have not completed all requirements for the degree can only participate (walk) in the May commencement if the course needed for completion is not a core course. No PhD candidates will be allowed to walk without having completed all requirements for the degree

Deadline Waiver
Applicants for the August, January or May degree dates whose master's thesis or doctoral dissertation is substantially complete, but who are unable to submit it in final form by the specified date, may request a deadline waiver from the Office of Graduate Studies before it is due. Students granted a waiver may be permitted until a date specified by the Office of Graduate Studies to submit the final copy of the work to the office. Such students may then apply for the next scheduled graduation without having to pay for additional thesis or doctoral dissertation credits. Contact the Office of Graduate Studies for further information.

Students who do not meet the deadline waiver will be required to register for master's thesis or doctoral dissertation in the subsequent enrollment period to allow formal completion.

Master's Degree Requirements

NJIT offers Master's degrees in a variety of disciplines through the five degree granting colleges and schools: Newark College of Engineering, College of Science and Liberal Arts, College of Computing Sciences, School of Management, and New Jersey School of Architecture.  NJIT also offers master's degrees in interdisciplinary areas that may include coursework from a number of colleges or schools.  The programs are flexibly arranged to allow new specializations and to allow new programs to  be developed in response to changing needs.  All current programs are listed in another section of the catalog.  Students seeking more than one Master's degree should consult the Office of Graduate Admission and the Office of Graduate Studies.  There are options available that can reduce the time and number of credits for completion of  the second degree.

Most Master's degrees require a minimum of 30 credits to complete.   Some master's degree programs, particularly those in professional areas require additional credits beyond 30 credits.  Specific program sections of the catalog describe these requirements. The university requirements within the  30 credit minimum are 18 credits minimum in a specialization; the other 12 credits may be elective or include other required courses as determined by the program.  In general, courses for Master's programs must be numbered at the 600 level or above; some programs will allow up to two courses numbered 500-599.  Some programs may also require a Master's Thesis or a Project.

Up to 9 credits from outside NJIT, subject to approval by the advisor and the Graduate Studies Office and based on NJIT transfer credit policies described elsewhere, may be applied to Master's degrees.  Generally, NJIT does not allow transfer of credits already used as part of the credit requirements for a prior degree outside of NJIT.   However, students who have completed a Master's degree elsewhere that includes much more than the typical 30 credits for a master's degree and are considering an NJIT Master's degree that also includes much more than the typical 30 credits such as an MBA or an MArch degree, will be considered for a block transfer of up to 12 credits from the prior degree toward the NJIT degree.  These types of transfer will require approval of the advisor and the associate provost of graduate studies.

Bridge Program
Students who seek a master's degree in an academic discipline different from that of the bachelor's degree may be admitted to a master's degree program but may be required to complete appropriate undergraduate and/or graduate prerequisites in addition to the normal graduate degree requirements of the program. The program of courses will be individually designed in consultation with their graduate advisor. Bridge courses must be completed before 9 credits of graduate degree courses are earned. Bridge courses are not counted as degree credits but do count in graduate GPA calculations if the course is numbered 500 (500G for Architecture) or higher.

Master's Thesis Advisor, Committee, and Defense
A master's thesis committee should be formed at the start of the second semester of thesis registration (or at the start of the first semester if a single semester completion seems certain). The committee must have at least three members. All members of the committee must hold faculty rank.

The chair of the committee must be a tenured or tenure track faculty member in the department or program offering the degree.  At least one other member of the committee must be a tenure or tenure track faculty member or a research professor in the department or program offering the degree.  Approval of the committee is made by the program director and reported to the Graduate Studies Office on a standardized thesis committee appointment form.

The thesis must be defended in a publicly announced oral defense.  Each program has its own policies on scheduling and submitting thesis drafts to members of the committee.  Students are responsible for following their program's policies.  Successful defense of the thesis is determined by vote of the thesis committee.  The chair of the thesis committee, one other person who is a tenured or tenure-track faculty or a research professor, and third member of the committee must be present to hear the defense.  Every member of the thesis committee must sign and date the approval page of the final thesis document. A report on passage, conditional passage, or failure of the defense is completed by the thesis committee chair, signed by the thesis committee members, and sent to the Graduate Studies Office on a standardized form.

Specific Requirements
Detailed descriptions of the degree requirements for specific degrees or degree/discipline combinations may be found in the Degree Programs section of this catalog.

Doctor of Philosophy Degree Requirements

The number of credits required for completion of doctor of philosophy degrees varies with the program and the level of entry into the program. Students holding a prior master's degree generally require a minimum of 60 graduate credits beyond the master's degree (which is assumed to have included at least 30 graduate credits beyond the bachelor's degree). Students entering the doctoral program with a bachelor's degree and who do not wish to complete a master's degree while pursuing the doctoral degree will be required to complete a minimum of 84 graduate credits beyond the bachelor's degree for programs offered by the Newark College of Engineering and 78 graduate credits beyond the bachelor's degree for programs offered by the College of Science and Liberal Arts.

Students who enter an NJIT doctoral program with two or more master's degrees already completed or a large number of appropriate prior graduate credits may be considered for a reduction in the credits required at NJIT.  The evaluation of the requirements will be made by the program advisor in consultation with the Associate Provost of Graduate Studies.  The minimum credit requirement at NJIT for the doctoral degree at NJIT is 36 dissertation research credits, regardless of any other requirement waiver.

Doctoral program credit requirements for joint programs for which the names of multiple universities appear on the diploma, are to follow the requirements of the program as approved by the universities, generally a minimum of 72 credits beyond the bachelor's degree.

In addition to overall credit requirements, each program includes the following minimal requirements:

  • For those entering the program with master's degrees, 24 credits of course work beyond the master's degree of which at least 12 credits must be at the 700 level and none at the 500 level or lower.
  • For both entry levels; baccalaureate or master's start-point, at least 12 credits of course work at the 700 level; no more than two independent study courses may be used to satisfy this requirement. Master's project or thesis cannot be used to satisfy this requirement.
  • 36 credits minimum of doctoral dissertation research for programs offered jointly with other universities.
  • 30 credits minimum of doctoral dissertation research for the programs offered by the College of Computing Sciences.
  • Dissertation research credits in accordance with the program approval documents for programs offered jointly with other universities
  • Seminar attendance each semester or as required by the program. Nominal credit values, if any, for registration in seminar do not count toward fulfillment of overall credit requirements.

Students who wish to complete a master's degree while pursuing a doctorate in the same field must be approved for this by the doctoral department, the Associate Provost of graduate studies, and the director of graduate admissions, and satisfy all requirements for the master's degree, including any thesis or project requirement. In general, such permission is given only after passage of the research proposal exam or if the student is near completion of the doctorate. Students in doctoral programs initially, who terminate their studies at the master's level, will lose further eligibility for support.

Qualifying Examination
Students must pass a qualifying examination within two years of being admitted into doctoral programs. Exceptional students, only having bachelor's degrees, who are admitted into doctoral programs must take the qualifying examination within one and one-half years of admission and must pass it within two years. Students are only permitted to take the examination twice. The passage of qualifying examinations is reported to the Office of Graduate Studies. Each department determines its own policies with regard to format, confidentiality, grading, and review of examinations by faculty and students. Students are, at their request, permitted to view their examination papers in the presence of a designated faculty member and to see correct examination answers.

Dissertation and Pre-Doctoral Research Credits
Students may register for doctoral dissertation credits (course number 790) only after passage of the qualifying examination. They may register for a maximum of 6 credits of pre-doctoral research (course number 792) prior to passage of the qualifying exam. These credits may count toward the required number of dissertation credits for the degree. Dissertation and pre-doctoral dissertation credits are graded as S or U except that P is assigned to the last registration for doctoral dissertation upon completion of the degree.

Dissertation Advisor, Dissertation Committee and Research Proposal
Doctoral students are required to have a dissertation advisor selected, a dissertation committee formed, and research proposal approved within one year of passage of the qualifying examination.

Department chairpersons or doctoral program directors are responsible for approving formation of dissertation committees. The committee consists of a minimum of five members, one of whom is external to the program or to NJIT.  The majority of the committee members are tenured or tenure-track faculty from the student's program or department having research experience or developing research interests related to the dissertation research.  The dissertation committee chairperson typically is the doctoral candidate's dissertation advisor, but other faculty may be selected, provided they are from the student's program or department.  The dissertation committee chair must be a tenured or tenure-track faculty member in the program.  Two committee members, including an external member, may serve as co-advisors.  The advisor or at least one of the co-advisors must be a tenured or tenure-track faculty member from the program.

The other members of the dissertation committee, except for an external member from outside the university, must have faculty rank at the level of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor, Distinguished Professor, or Research Professor.  Former students of any committee member, who are less than four years beyond doctoral completion, are specifically excluded from membership. Post-doctoral Associates, Instructors, Special Lecturers, Research and Teaching Assistants, or any other student category, are specifically excluded from membership.  The external members should either have appropriate faculty rank elsewhere or have sufficient research expertise to warrant inclusion on the dissertation committee.

Part-time doctoral students pursuing the doctorate with industry collaboration should have at least one dissertation committee member from the participating industrial partner whose research credentials would otherwise be appropriate for a member of the university faculty.  Committees for joint doctoral programs with other universities shall either follow these policies or the specific policies for the joint program consistent with the program approval and related documents.

Each doctoral program has specific requirements for preparing, presenting and accepting proposals. Research is expected to investigate or develop a unique contribution to science and technology. Research may be experimental, analytical, applied, or theoretical, provided it satisfies this criteria and is approved by the dissertation committee. It should be of a quality to warrant scholarly presentation or paper submission to reputable journals in accordance with program practice.

Doctoral candidates must spend at least one academic year in full-time residence. This requirement is sometimes waived with the approval of the dissertation committee and the associate provost of graduate studies. Such waivers are granted when a candidate's dissertation research requires use of research facilities at an approved off-campus site. A typical example for residency requirement waiver would apply in the case of students in the collaborative doctorate option.

Doctoral Candidacy
Doctoral candidates are doctoral students who have completed all other requirements for the degree except for completion of the dissertation and the defense. This includes, as a minimum, passage of the doctoral qualifying examination, approval of the research proposal and completion of all course work. Status as a doctoral candidate does not imply candidacy for the degree. A degree candidate will be both near degree completion and have made a formal degree application for a particular graduation date.

Dissertation and Defense
The dissertation should be a scholarly publication of the quality to warrant conference presentation or paper submission to reputable journals. The dissertation must be defended in a publicly announced oral defense. Successful defense of the dissertation is determined by vote of the dissertation committee. All members of the committee must be present to hear the defense.

Each program has its own policies on scheduling and submitting dissertation drafts to members of the dissertation committee. Students are responsible for following their program's dissertation policies. In regard to format, the standard reference is the latest edition of the Estrin/Roche manual: Guidelines for Scientific and Professional Theses. Office of Graduate Studies policies on number of copies, deadlines, fee payments, information documents, and grade submission for acceptance of the final dissertation and for doctoral degree certification are to be followed. The Office of Graduate Studies provides guidance and assistance to students working on the final details of the dissertation. Students should contact the office for appointments early in the final semester. The review of format should proceed well in advance of final document approval and dissertation defense.

Every member of the dissertation committee must sign and date the approval page of the final dissertation document.

Graduate Certificate Requirements

Certificates require completion of 12 specified credits with a GPA of 3.0 or better. Only one course repetition is permitted for certificate students to improve the GPA. The cumulative GPA of the entire graduate record at NJIT also must be 3.0. Graduate certificate credits may be applied to a following master's degree. Dual use of credits from a completed first master's degree to a second and following certificate is not permitted.

Students in certificates programs are usually considered to be non-matriculated students for the duration of the certificate program. Graduate certificate programs are generally completed before students are admitted to a following matriculated graduate program. Students who did not apply for admission to a certificate program initially and instead complete the certificate requirements as part of a completed graduate degree program may be permitted to receive a certificate also with approval of the graduate program director.

Rights and Responsibilities
Code of Professional Conduct
New Jersey Institute of Technology requires students to conduct themselves with decorum and to adhere to standards of ethical and professional behavior. NJIT has adopted, and requires all students to comply with, a Code of Professional Conduct. The policies and procedures governing this code are contained in a separate publication, the Student Handbook, and are deemed incorporated into this catalog. The student handbook, maintained by the Dean of Students Office, is available online at:

Identification Card
All students must carry an NJIT identification card while on campus. An ID card must be presented at the request of a university administrator, faculty member or public safety officer. Facilities, parking, building access, and services of the university require presentation of a valid university ID.

Students should obtain an ID card as soon as possible after registration is completed. Photographs for ID cards are taken throughout the semester in the Department of Public Safety, located in the parking facility. Dates and times to obtain an ID are posted at the Campus Center Information Desk. Proof of registration in the form of a tuition receipt or registrar's receipt is required to obtain an ID card. These receipts also will be accepted as NJIT identification until the ID card is issued. ID validation stickers are issued each semester and are available at the Department of Public Safety or the Campus Center Information Desk.

Lost or stolen IDs should be reported as soon as possible to the Department of Public Safety. A replacement for a lost card is obtained by paying a $25 charge at the Bursar's Office cashier's window in the Student Services Mall and presenting the receipt at the Department of Public Safety where the card will be re-issued.

NJIT cards are not transferable. Cards are not to be loaned to anyone for any reason. ID cards are the property of NJIT and must be returned upon request.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
The Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 gives students the right to inspect any educational records about them maintained by NJIT. Students have the right to a hearing to challenge the contents of these records, and also have the right to add to their records an explanation of information they challenge. Unless specifically exempted by the public law, NJIT is mandated to keep student records strictly confidential.

The university registrar is responsible for student records. Educational records are defined as transcripts, admission files and registration forms. To review their files, students must contact the registrar, in writing, to specify the items they want to see. Student health records are maintained by the Director of Health Services and may only be examined by a health professional chosen by the student.

Educational records defined by the public law must be made available within 45 days after a student requests to see them. A catalog of educational records kept by NJIT is available from the registrar. Exceptions to the right of inspection include financial aid records and records of institutional, supervisory, and administrative personnel, and ancillary educational personnel.

For a nominal service fee, copies of these records may be made for students.

Only those at NJIT acting in the student's interest are allowed access to student files, including personnel in the registrar's, admissions, student services, and finance offices; and academic personnel within the limitations of their need to know.

With the exceptions stated in the law, no one outside NJIT shall have access to a particular student's educational record without the written consent of the student, except in extraordinary circumstances such as emergencies. Accrediting agencies carrying out their accrediting function and certain state and federal officials are permitted access. A record of, and reasons for, granting access will be kept by the university and will be available to the student.

The university, at its discretion, may provide directory information, in accordance with the provisions of the law including a student's name, address, telephone listing, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student. Students who desire directory information to be withheld should notify the registrar in writing within the first two weeks of initial registration.

Request for non-disclosure will be honored by the university for ONLY ONE ACADEMIC YEAR AT A TIME. Authorization to withhold directory information must be filed annually in the Office of the Registrar.

Students who disagree with an entry may challenge its accuracy with the Office of the Registrar. If this remedy fails, either NJIT or the student may request a formal appeal hearing. The law mandates that such hearings be held within 30 days of requests, and be conducted by a university official or other person with no direct interest in the outcome. Students will be given a full and fair opportunity to present relevant evidence and be represented by their own counsel.

Students may include a written statement in their file explaining a disputed entry following an unfavorable determination of an appeal. A written decision will be rendered within 15 working days after the hearing of an appeal.

Students who believe that they are treated unfairly or improperly and contrary to the provisions of the law may request, in writing, assistance from the provost of the university or the provost's designee. Students who believe that their rights have been abridged may file complaints with the appropriate federal agency.

Anti-Discrimination Policy
New Jersey Institute of Technology reaffirms its commitment to a policy of non-discrimination on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, ethnic origin, handicap or veterans' status in its employment policies, educational programs and activities under university control.

Assuring a climate of equal opportunity is the direct responsibility of all levels of management. Administrative and supervisory personnel are required to comply with applicable government regulations and the affirmative action goals of the university. Among these are Executive Orders 11246 and 11375 (Affirmative action); the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended; Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (Sex Discrimination); Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Americans with Disabilities Act (Non-discrimination on the Basis of Handicap); The New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, Title 10, Chapter 5, 10:5-1 to 10:5-28, NJ Revised Statutes, as amended; and the New Jersey Governor's Code of Fair Practices, Executive Order No. 21 (1965), as amended and Executive Order No. 39 (1991), "Prohibition in State Government of Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation."

Any reported act of discriminatory behavior will be investigated through the Office of the Dean of Student Services, the Office of Compliance and Training, or the Office of General Counsel and Employment Policy Relations.

Sexual Harassment Policy
It is the continuing objective of the university to offer a work and study environment to its employees and students that rewards career and educational goals based upon relevant factors such as ability and work performance. Sexual harassment of employees and students is unacceptable. It is a barrier to educational and professional development and contrary to law and university policy.

In accordance with the NJIT Sexual Harassment Policy and Procedures, persons found to have violated university policy will face investigation, managerial review and possible disciplinary action up to and including employment termination and or dismissal from the university (for students). For a full copy of the university's policy prohibiting sexual harassment, please contact the Office of General Counsel and/or the Office of Compliance and Training.

Copyright Ownership
NJIT believes its role as an educational institution is best served by disclosing to the public all academic research, projects, theses and dissertations developed by students during the course of their studies or employment at the university.

Projects, theses and dissertations created by students shall be governed by the following provisions as outlined in NJIT's copyright policy under "Ownership and Disposition of Copyrightable Materials":

A. Copyright ownership of projects, theses and dissertations generated by research that is performed in whole or in part by the student with financial support in the form of wages, salaries, stipend, or grant from funds administered by the University shall be determined in accordance with the terms of the support agreement, or in the absence of such terms, shall become the property of the University.

B. Copyright ownership of projects, theses and dissertations generated by research performed in whole or in part utilizing equipment or facilities provided to the University under conditions that impose copyright restriction shall be determined in accordance with such restrictions.

C. Copyright in projects, theses and dissertations not within the provisions of Categories A and B of this policy shall be the property of the author. However, the student must, as a condition of a degree award, grant royalty-free permission to the University to reproduce and publicly distribute copies of the project, thesis or dissertation.

Requests for permission to publish Category A and B should be addressed to the Office of Intellectual Property.

For further information, call the Office of Intellectual Property, (973) 596-5825.

Ownership of Intellectual Property
In accordance with university policy, NJIT retains all right, title and interest to any and all intellectual property (i.e., inventions, discoveries, creative works, trade secrets and know-how) developed by NJIT students during the course of their studies or employment at the university or while using university facilities.

To protect against premature disclosure of an invention and/or publication of anything that may be of a proprietary nature, students must immediately report their intent to do so to the Office of Technology Development. Students must neither publish nor discuss proprietary information with anyone other than the Office of Technology Development or members of the University's Intellectual Property Committee. When a project, thesis or dissertation covers material that is potentially proprietary, both the student and the advisor must report the existence of such material to the Office of Graduate Studies and the Office of Technology Development; so that the University may expedite its review of such material and determine whether or not it is proprietary and should be protected under the University's guidelines for protecting its Intellectual Property. If necessary, the Office of Graduate Studies and the Office of Technology Development will take steps to sequester patentable material in archival documents such as theses and dissertations. If the University applies for a patent, the student will sign an appropriate assignment agreement. All income derived from such intellectual property will be shared between NJIT and the student in accordance with the University's published policy (see

For further information, call the Office of Intellectual Property, (973) 596-5825.

Property Loss and Damage
NJIT is not responsible for loss of property by fire or theft in its buildings or grounds. NJIT is not responsible for property damaged as the result of vandalism in its buildings or grounds.

Drug Abuse Prevention Program
New Jersey Institute of Technology prohibits the use of illegal drugs on its premises. University policy concerning possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages on campus subscribes to strict enforcement of the laws of the State of New Jersey, the County of Essex and the City of Newark. In addition, the policy stipulates that any consumption must occur within a responsible social framework wherein beverages are not the focus of the event.

Students with drug and alcohol abuse problems should be aware that they can receive information, counseling and referral assistance from the Office of the Dean of Student Services, the Counseling Center, the Health Services Office, or the Stop-In Center. The professional staff of the Counseling Center can provide substance abuse counseling and assessment in some situations and will refer more serious problems to off-campus facilities and services.

In addition, the university, through the Division of Student Services, offers a series of educational programs focused on the areas of drug and alcohol information and substance abuse prevention.

Drug-Free Workplace Policy
Student employees are subject to university policies regarding employment. New Jersey Institute of Technology is committed to maintaining a drug-free workplace in compliance with applicable laws. The university is further committed both to rigorous enforcement of applicable laws and policies and to support for those trying to cope with drug-related problems. The unlawful possession, use, distribution, dispensation, sale, or manufacture of controlled substances is prohibited on university premises. Any NJIT employee determined to have violated this policy or engaged in drug-related problems that have an impact upon the workplace may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination. At the discretion of the university, any employee convicted of a drug offense involving the workplace shall be subject to employee discipline (up to and including termination) and/or required to satisfactorily complete a drug rehabilitation program as a condition of continued employment.

The illegal use of controlled substances can seriously injure the health of employees, adversely affect the performance of their responsibilities, and endanger the safety and well-being of fellow employees, students, and members of the general public. Therefore, the university urges employees engaged in the illegal use of controlled substances to seek professional advice and treatment. Anyone who is employed at NJIT who has a drug problem is encouraged to contact the Director of the Employee Assistance Program (EAP), who will assist in obtaining available treatment. Employees engaged in contracts with the U.S. Department of Defense are additionally subject to Department of Defense requirements and may be required to submit to tests for the illegal use of controlled substances.

As a condition of employment, an employee of NJIT will notify his/her supervisor if he or she is convicted of a criminal drug offense involving the workplace within five days of the conviction. In the event any such conviction involves an employee working on a federal contract or grant, the university will notify the granting or contracting federal agency within 10 days of receiving notice of a conviction. A copy of this statement shall be given to all employees.

This statement and its requirements are promulgated in accordance with the requirements of the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 enacted by the United States Congress. The university will continue its efforts to maintain a drug-free environment by adhering to the above policy and by providing through the EAP and the offices of Human Resources, and Compliance and Training, ongoing drug awareness programs.

Maintained by University Web Services. Date of last update: 10/30/2013 10:46:31