Collaborative Doctorate

The Collaborative Doctorate is designed for engineers, executives, scientists, military personnel, state and federal government employees, and educators who want to pursue a Ph.D. degree while continuing full-time employment. The academic requirements are the same as for regular NJIT doctoral programs but the collaborative nature of the program also allows participants to draw on the combined expertise and resources of the university and their employer. Dissertation research is expected to investigate or develop an original contribution to science, technology or management. Research may be experimental, analytical, applied or theoretical provided that it satisfies all criteria set by the dissertation committee.


Students are often recommended by employers who may commit to a proposed area of research in concert with the dissertation committee. The student’s employer may suggest a researcher to serve on the student's Ph.D. dissertation committee. This researcher may also become the student’s Ph.D. dissertation co-advisor after approval by the department and the Associate Provost for Graduate Studies. Employers who have a proprietary interest in the student’s dissertation research, including patent, copyright and technology transfer rights, are expected to execute formal IP (Intellectual Property) agreements with the university  prior to the start of the dissertation research.

The Collaborative Doctorate is available in all academic disciplines that award the Ph.D. degree. 

Students must meet university requirements for admission to doctoral programs and their dissertation research must satisfy university policies. They are expected to continue employment until they complete all degree requirements. Annual reviews of progress will be conducted.

The student's dissertation committee and Office of Graduate Studies define residency requirements. It is expected that the employer will permit a concentrated effort on dissertation research. Seminar requirements are also defined by the dissertation committee, and may allow presentations or attendance at professional society meetings in place of on-campus seminars.

For more information about the program or to discuss potential paths that can lead to the degree, contact the Associate Provost for Graduate Studies.